IF YOU ARE STOPPED BY THE POLICE…KNOW YOUR RIGHTS…
1) STAY CALM, No matter how agitated or hostile the police act, DON”T lose your temper.
2) ASK THE OFFICER, if you are “BEING ARRESTED OR IF YOU ARE FREE TO GO”.
3) DON”T TALK: TEll the police officer that, “YOU WOULD LIKE TO INVOKE YOUR RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT”
4) DO NOT WRITE OR SIGN any statements.
5) DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION OR CONSENT TO a search of your person, belongings, car or home.
6) BE SAFE, DO NOT RUN, reach in your backpack, or make any sudden moves. If you are in a car, have everyone put their hands out the window. If you the police have their hands of their gun, FREEZE WITH HANDS UP.
7) If you are arrested, ASK for an attorney.
8) DO NOT TALK to the police or prosecutor or district attorney.
9) If you are on parole or probation, DO NOT WAIVE OR GIVE UP your rights to a preliminary hearing
10) Although not required by law, carrying proper ID can help with police encounters.
11) Phone calls from jail are recorded. DO NOT speak about your case.
12) BE AWARE OF GANG & SEX WORKER PROFILING- Do not claim a “hood” or give a “nickname” or your “stage name”
13) HAVE A SAFETY PLAN, that includes who you will contact if you are arrested. Important numbers include a contact for an attorney and someone who can post bond on your behalf.
Please REPORT, all police encounters and hate crimes to email@example.com
For more information please visit coyoteri.org